I was lucky enough to score an interview with one of my all time favorite role models, Chrisandra Morse. At age 33, she is a complete and balanced powerhouse of a woman!
A Boston Native, Chrisandra moved to the west coast with her family at only 21 years old with no job, or lifestyle in mind; only the possibilities of what could develop. Having her mother and grandmother as her two prominent role models, Chrisandra developed an extremely strong work ethic, and a “no excuses” attitude. A couple of years later, she was hired by a company called Prosites. Prosites was a small company at the time and she was hired to sell websites for Dentists. With hard work this young lady quickly climbed the ladder and became one of their top sales persons. Chrisandra continually kept setting higher goals for herself – one being she wanted to buy her first home by the time she was 27 , and do so on her own. Mission accomplished! As she continued to learn and grow, she realized how important balance is; not only did she want all the things she was earning, additionally Chrisandra wanted to enjoy life. Now she has purchased her beautiful second home as an investment, she has traveled the world, she has obtained the position as “Sales manager” in her company, she is an adventurer, she makes time to exercise and Chrisandra cooks most all her own healthy meals. The best attribute of Chrisandra considering how busy she is, and all the amazing things she is accomplishing – she realizes how important family is. It was a pleasure to interview her and hear some of her amazing tips on how she has accomplished many of her dreams, while living a balanced life. Even though she was hosting a party later that day , Chrisandra made time to share all her useful tips with the world! I loved her advice and hope you will too! Check out the interview below!
Pura Vida! If you haven’t visited Costa Rica and are thinking about such a trip, I hope after reading this you will take the leap and book a ticket. Not only because of its wondrous beauty, which Costa Rica voluminously contains, but also for the feeding of your soul – which will be exponentially expanded.
I am sitting here in my studio apartment blasting “Costa Rica Radio” and experiencing a rush of feeling reminding me of what it was like to first breathe in the humid and peaceful Costa Rican air. The vibes of this country are well worth writing about and sharing and I do so in hope you will create the opportunity to visit and enjoy a beautiful eye opening, soul expanding experience like I did.
Sometimes, while on vacation, we long for home. Although vacation is usually a wonderful time, we miss the comfort of our daily surroundings, and most likely, our own bed. However, there are times, as vacation is nearing its end, when we feel an emptiness as we are about to leave – as soon as we get on that plane we become homesick for the place we are leaving. For me, one of those places is Costa Rica. The lessons of life I learned while there have forever changed me. The alluring sense to return is only a portion of what Costa Rica has to offer. I excitedly had the words “PURA VIDA” tattooed on my wrist which is the slogan and motto of the country – this is really what they live by. Now, I have a constant reminder of the PURE LIFE!
The group of people I traveled with were fortunate enough to find a house on airbnb on the Lake of Arenal. The cost was only one-hundred dollars per night and the house was incredible, offering marvelous views. For our group this meant twenty-five dollars a night per individual for our own private house on five acres of land, overlooking the Lake and, on cloudless days, the Volcano.
Upon our arrival we were greeted by our house mate who took the time to sit with us and inquire as to what sort of activities we would like to enjoy and, impressively, helping us book our adventures. Our guides name was TY and he was Canadian. Ty came to Costa Rica for a holiday once upon a time and never left. “It is paradise. There is nowhere like it”, he claimed. As time passed, I found his statement to be fully true. Here are some tips that the “TICOS” (Coasta Rican people) taught me about life which have enriched my soul and forever created in me the choosing to permanently live Soulistically Happy!
Their attitude about life. To put it quite simply the Ticos live simple and free. I found, for them, the land is more important than the actual houses there. There usually is no washer and dryers. Television and internet are not as important and usually they live on their own farm. As earlier mentioned, their slogan is “Pura Vida” ( (poo-ra-vee-da) which signifies a more simple approach to life. How it was explained to me by the Ticans was “No matter how bad a day you are having, someone else out there is wishing your day could be their day”. Their attitude about life is simple and positive. Having such gratitude and appreciation for life genuinely raises your vibration as well as the vibration of the country – and this fact is living and breathing truth. I cannot tell you how many people I talked with, from our house host to owners of popular restaurants out there, and persons who had left their countries to move to Costa Rica purely because of the attitude and way of life of the Ticans. It was such a relaxed, easy and happy feeling the entire time I was there. Also, most bars and restaurants do not have TV! They are open-air so you can take in and enjoy the culture, the fresh breeze and being outside rather than gluing your eyes to a television set and becoming disconnected from each other and the world around you.
(Here are some views from some of the restaurants and bars we were at)
They live off the volcano and which provides many of their resources. I want to share this really awesome article I came across. http://costarica.com/travel/how-costa-rica-is-going-green/
There are many different resorts with natural hot springs created by the volcano which you can stay in or just attend for the day. We only paid forty dollars to swim in these natural pools all day. The ones we attended had swim-up bars, water slides and caves. The price included an amazing dinner at the foot of the volcano. On another day my friend and I enjoyed the best massage of our life right in the middle of the jungle, which included access to the natural hot springs as well. This was only sixty dollars for two people. All this was in the city of La Fortuna and was well worth it, and one of the most beautiful experiences I have ever had.
Being an avid traveler, the main thing that struck me about the people who work at these resorts, and even the ladies that massaged us, was they did not expect anything, and they were humble. For the kind of natural, flower breathing, relaxing massage they provided, I would have to pay good money for here in the states while these masseuses bashfully accepted the fact we even wanted to tip them.
They respect nature. Don’t bother putting a leash on your dog, all animals run free here. The amount of dogs and cats we came across just roaming around was tremendous, and I fell in love with them all, especially Linda, which means beautiful in their language.
My friends and I enjoyed a hanging bridge tour through the jungle where you basically explore the jungle while having to cross many tall and suspended bridges. While on our excursion, we came across some Ticos who were guides for other people. The amount of respect they taught us to show for nature and the wild animals was tremendous – and they expressed themselves in a beautifully kind way. Although we were exploring the jungle populated with more poisonous animals than you will ever see, wild boars and others animals, there was such a sense of calmness. It was a uniquely beautiful experience to witness just how Costa Rica has developed a universal consciousness of peace and respect for all nature – and nature responds equally in return. Why else would these flowers and trees and plants grow so beautifully. They feel the love just as much as the animals do; a true a wonder and a marvel to experience and peer upon.
We also visited an ecological park for reptiles and amphibian. The passion Ticas have for these creatures, and the drive to keep them safe and alive, was amazing to witness. As I think back, I am warmed once again in my soul.
The Adventure is unreal. La Fortuna is Costa Ricas adventure capital, therefore the adventures we were able to encounter were so amazing and I have not been able to find anything quite like them as of yet.
The zip line is considered the most thrilling in the country. It ranges from the longest cable at 2493 feet, which is about half a mile, and the highest cable is 656 feet. You are literally zip lining through the rain forest over waterfalls and jungle. This was the most beautiful and adrenaline rushing experience; and let me tell you why. When you have an experience like this you are forced to be in the present moment and you appreciate life and where you are in that particular moment. You are overcome with pure joy and all fear leaves you and you are, in that moment, ALIVE! The town of La Fortuna offers many other adventures, but if you do anything I highly recommend you do the zip line.
Once we headed to the beach we were able to take a Jet Ski/ Snorkel tour where we saw three different beaches with three different color sands blanketing them, some monkeys, and we held a blown up puffer fish!
Check out this video of us holding the blown up puffer fish!
Family above everything. Most businesses are family run where the entire family works together. Some restaurants were actually half restaurant and half someone’s home, with the wife serving and the husband cooking, or visa versa. Each family member respects the other and each do their part in providing a wonderful experience for their customers. And, the best part is, they are working with each other – it truly is a beautiful thing to see.
When we took a Jet Ski tour to snorkel in the city of Conchal, our tour guide had his whole family with him just lounging on the beach. He gets to spend time with them in between tours in one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. Also Conchal Beach was probably one of my most favorite beaches I have ever been to. The vibe was unreal. I was just so happy. We were all so happy!
The food. I want to share with you an interesting fact I learned in school while required to view a presentation by Scott Tips on the Codex Alimentarius (Food Code) and then write a report on it. The definition of Codex Alimentarius is “a collection of internationally recognized standards, codes of practice, guidelines and other recommendations relating to foods, food production and food safety. In their worlds they have two goals (1) to protect the health of consumers, and (2) to promote fair practices in the food trade”. Simply put, this is not what they are doing at all and that is a whole other blog. The point I am making with this, and tying in Costa Rica, is that the Codex Alimentarius was setting the standards and lowering all the vitamins in our foods and guess who was the ONLY country to speak up? That’s right – COSTA RICA!
You can taste it in their food too; anyone who has traveled there will confess to how amazing and rich it is. The food is pure and most of it is in a natural state. Gallo pinto, is probably something I dream about every day and have tried to remake, but never can get it right. The fruits, the vegetables, the homemade hot sauce, the fresh caught fish, everything was mouthwatering and FRESH. This goes along with respect for each other, respect for themselves, nature and their guests.
I trust this blog has maybe opened your eyes a bit towards adopting some of the simple Soulistic ways the country of Costa Rica has to offer. I can’t wait to go back and hope to see you there! PURA VIDA!
We have all been there; that place where no one wants to be. We go from being part of a couple to suddenly being alone. For some of us, it becomes difficult to sleep, eat or even go about our day. More than likely, we not only have to say goodbye to our lover but, we additionally must to say arrivederci to our best friend. This act by itself can bring a tremendous loss.
I have been through a fair share of these and here is a secret – it’s a big one – I hope you are ready! Whether you like it or not…okay are you ready??? LIFE GOES ON! Your life will continue. During this time, we have two choices. One, we can embrace the change or, two, we can sulk and allow change to destroy us. Emotional change is difficult and a huge challenge. We are forced to see ourselves in the raw and moved to become our own best friend. However, once beyond the pain, we begin to see the ultimate lesson and blessing which come from this seeming tragedy, and life tends to bloom more bright and beautiful! Here I offer you ten soulistic approaches for moving past a breakup; they work wonderfully well!
1. Create your sacred safe place, a safe zone. Lets face it, you will have to grieve, and the longer you put it off, the longer your process of grieving will be. This is the time where you must become your own best friend. So, find yourself a comfortable space to move through the emotions. This could be your room, your own apartment, your bathroom, a tree house, wherever is best for you. Make it relaxing, beautiful and calming – and make it your own. This is where you will spend some of your most crucial time – make it your safe place. Eventually this place will become your safe zone and you will enjoy spending time there alone. One other aspect to this is a little Feng Shui tactic. Get rid of anything that is going to make you cry or sad over your ex. I am not saying throw it away, but you can place these items far away so you can’t experience any of the emotion they contain.
2. Eat those greens! Have you ever heard the term “it’s not your heart that rules your emotions, its your gut”? Well, if you haven’t, now you know! The connection between your gut and your brain is so intense that they are nearly and symbiotically one. Your body has two nervous systems. There is the central nervous system, which is your spinal chord and brain, and then the enteric nervous system, which is the intrinsic nervous system of your gastrointestinal tract. Did you know that your gut sends way more information to your brain then vise versa!? My point is this, as much as you want to go for a bowl of ice cream and a candy bar, it is far better to take control and decide to eat healthy. Of course, I know, set-backs in this area are inevitable, so give yourself a couple days and allow all that bad junk. But, then take charge and begin treating your body right. You will have more power over your emotions and you will be happier overall. Plus,as an added benefit, you will look better, which is always a great plus!
3. Meditation is key. Buddah was once asked what he had gained from meditation and he replied, “Nothing! However let me tell you what I have lost: anger, anxiety, depression, insecurity, fear of old age and death.” I have found this to be true in my own life. Meditation can be intimidating when starting out because we are forced to sit with our own thoughts and after a breakup these thoughts may be especially unpleasant. However, if you put some effort into learning the practice of meditation, the benefits are outrageous. You learn to control your own thoughts, you learn to witness the thoughts coming and going while being in complete and perfect peace. I also believe prayer is when we talk to God and meditation is when we listen to God. If meditation is a new practice for you, begin small and do not be discouraged. As most things in this life, practice makes better – don’t give up. To begin, set a timer for five minutes. As days go by, increase the minutes on your timer. Mix up your meditations. I find this a wonderful practice. Sometimes remain in complete silence, sometimes play comforting music, or mix in some guided meditations! You can find these on www.youtube.com or a variety of other places. I have collected several to help me through a breakup, and most were found on youtube.
4. A positive affirmation is an optimistic phrase that you repeat to yourself in order to define how and who you choose to be. To some this is silly, but it works. The theory behind positive affirmation is this – if you begin saying these daily they start to sink into the subconscious which will, overtime, cause you to believe them and live them. These affirmations become your reality and your truth. Take a moment and write out your positive affirmations; customize them for only you. How do you want to feel? Who do you choose to be? Once you do this try and spend sometime visualizing your affirmative statements. We will get more into this in another section. In the meantime you can place sticky notes on your mirror, set a text alarm, or even set then to the background of your phone. As said prior, you choose the ones you want for your life. Below is one I have used constantly . .
5. Exercise! You have heard this one before but how true is it? After going through a big spiritual or emotional change your body changes. Difficult change can affect the way you sleep and the way you eat. And, just maybe, you would like to adjust your look all together. Well, exercise helps you in so many areas and brings such a sense of freedom to your life. Try not to look at exercise as solely physical. There are huge physical benefits but there are just as many emotional and physiological benefits. Exercising is a release in a variety of ways. It releases endorphins while facilitating a sort of, albeit temporary, emotional repair. Do you realize what this means? Endorphins interact with receptors in your brain and reduce your perception of pain. Endoprhins also trigger positive feelings in the body which can sometimes be compared to morphine. How great is that! With exercising, you are genuinely making yourself happier, allowing yourself to become healthier and – hello – you will look better which increases your self-esteem and confidence. As with most things, I believe in a balance to workouts, and I tend to make them such a mental and spiritual focus these days rather than simply physical. Here are some of my favorites. I LOVE LOVE LOVE yoga!! It is a beautiful balance of mind and exercise! Yoga mentally challenges you. You are able to meditate while you are doing it, while physically, it kicks your butt and gets you in shape quickly! I also like kick boxing. After a breakup, kick boxing will alleviate pent up anger you may have towards your ex, or even yourself. I also like having weight days. I usually go with a girlfriend and we encourage one another and lean on each other for support. Another exercise I have recently added at the gym is spin class. This is a great release and you will feel so accomplished after you realize how many miles you did. Spin class usually has a number of persons, and all pull for one another – a great benefit to this activity! If you do not want to go to the gym here is a free website I absolutely love for yoga http://www.doyogawithme.com/ and its all free! Also, mix up some fun exercises. If you live by water there is paddle boarding, surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and swimming. You can also enjoy bike riding, rollerblading, hiking; really whatever brings you joy and gets you out of bed. Go do it!!
6. Your circle. These are your people. Your close friends and family are crucial during this time, so be sure you put effort into these relationships; never forget them when this is all said and done. I am so blessed to have such amazing family and friends who have pulled me through these dark times. Keep your circle small and realize who you need in certain moments. I have some people who are great listeners who I can just vent to. I have some who give great advice. I have some who are extremely funny when I need a laugh. And, I am blessed with those who dare me to step outside my confront zone and become a better person. Surround yourself with good energy, good people and be there for them when they need it.
7. Journal! I know this may sound silly to some – writing in a journal – but this activity is so beneficial for a plethora of reasons. Journaling is also another release. Some people claim they cannot journal or believe they can’t think of what to write; and that is okay. A journal is your private place to write whatever you want, even if you want to write about your favorite candy bar; who cares, just write! The thoughts will eventually come and to your surprise they will be thoughts and feelings built up in your subconscious you never realized you had. Another wonderful thing about journals is you have the benefit of privately working through your feelings, owning the process, while introducing yourself to new elements of you! One really cool benefit of journaling is the opportunity, after some time has passed, to look back and realize how you have grown. Even looking back just a week prior, you may say “Wow, look how far I have come and how much I have accomplished in one week!”
8. Make a bucket list! Hey, here is something to start with in your journal! Write down your goals, your passions and several things you want to see and do . This could be categorized as weekly, monthly or yearly, accomplishments – or simply over your lifetime. Make it a point to start crossing things off your bucket list! This is not only an amazing feeling, but additionally. you start seeing things that YOU want out of life coming to be. There is so much more to life then being sad, angry or desirous concerning your ex! Begin to make new memories, and life starts becoming bigger, better and more glorious!
9. Try something new! This one ties into number eight and maybe even number ten. However, it deserves its own category. Go out into this big world and try something new -anything NEW! Magic happens when we step outside our comfort zone! This could be something as easy as enrolling in a painting class, or something exciting like booking a ticket to somewhere in the world you have always wondered about. Whatever it is, try it! If you don’t like it, well, at least you can say you tried it, and then try something else! Trying new things helps to increase your confidence, and it gives you a greater appreciation for yourself! It also helps you break out of a rut (remember this – a rut is simply a grave with both ends knocked out) that you might be in , like a breakup. Maybe you and your ex use to always do the same thing (redundant and boring). Trying something new changes it up for you and give you new perspective! You can gain a new skill you love and help bring abundance and more positive energy to your life. Also, you never know who you might meet!
10. Release your adrenaline! Now this one may seem crazy to some, but it has certainly worked for me. Our bodies tend to build up with adrenaline after a breakup. If you look more deeply into the brain, it tends to have the same chemical reactions as an addict in rehab after a breakup. Go do something nutty and release that adrenaline! One of my personal favorites is jumping out of a plane; you customize however you choose. Have you ever heard people talk about living in the now? When we live in the past we usually are depressed, and when we live in the future we tend to be anxious, living in the now is where happiness and joy reside. So, why do you think adrenaline junkies become adrenaline junkies? They are forced to live exactly in the now! You don’t have time to think about what you had for breakfast, or what you are going to do about your future career when you are flying through the air with a parachute strapped to your back. There is absolutely no better feeling in this world then living in the now. When you take that adventure, you are feeling life, you are tasting the wind, you are drinking in the sunshine. One of my favorite quotes from Deepak Chopra is, “You must find the place inside yourself where nothing is impossible.”
Please message me if you need any help or feel like you are in a slump where you just cant get out!
No relationship is ever a waste of time. If it didn’t bring you what you want , it taught you what you don’t want. There is a lesson in everything and everyone we meet!
Go catch your sunshine 🙂
❤ all my love!