As a society we more and more are beginning to realize how TRUE the above statement is.
The problem with this is that society, and people in charge of our food and health, make it super difficult for us. Whether its putting addictive hormones or chemicals in our food, packaging food very colorful and inviting, or simply making it super cheap to buy, it’s becoming to convenient for us to eat poorly. The problem is this is slowly killing us. We can choose now – in this moment – to begin paying the price for healthy food, choosing nourishment for our bodies, or we can choose to pay a doctors thousands of dollars later. The choice is yours and I encourage you to make the healthy one!
I know the “struggle is real” with food choices and I have developed some easy ways to incorporate healthier food options into your life. I grew up eating horribly and until the last year or so. I was the girl who had cake for breakfast, always candy in her purse, and always sipping on Doctor pepper. Following are tips that worked for me to totally change my lifestyle. Enjoy!
Make the commitment and throw out all the less-than-healthy food in your house. Better yet donate it if you want! This will save you a lot of temptation, and most likely guilt. Replace the removed with healthy alternatives such as this – instead of using Mayo as a spread spread an avocado – things of that sort. This is a scenario where you have to train your mind, and just make that full time commitment. A recent study carried out at Cornell showed that people will eat healthier foods if doing so becomes a normal and obvious choice.
2. Pre-make meals and snacks! One of the coolest things for me when I was converting to healthier eating was PINTREST. There are so many cool ideas for healthy meals to be found there. Also, there are several services you can sign up for which will deliver you the healthy food and organize it for you with instructions – you get to cook it. When you pre-make these meals your are less likely to get super hungry and head to a fast food place. Make the healthy food “convenient” for you; also “appealing”. Doing this really does begin to be fun!
3. Eat fruits or vegetables before you go shopping. We all know, if we go shopping on an empty stomach we are more likely to not only buy more then we need, but the wrong things we need.
4. Make grocery list! There are so many studies show that people who go to the grocery store with a predetermined list had higher quality diets and a lower BMI.
5. Eat using smaller plates or using bigger forks. Portion control is a huge problem in today’s consumption society and is a big reason why so many of us are over weight! You know, most other countries our size “Small”, when it comes to food and soft drinks, is their size “Large.” A simple way you can learn portion control is to just trick your minds eye and eat off a smaller plate.
7. At times, allow yourself to eat what you want. If you restrict yourself from everything that you want, all the time, you are more likely to binge eat . As time goes on and you develop new healthy habits for your body, along with a higher measure of self love, you will no longer crave things that are bad for you, in fact they wont even taste the same. Its a process, enjoy it.
8. Eat all the Veggies on your plate first. This is the most important part of what you are eating so eat all these first to become more full while consuming the higher amounts of nutrition you need! Make sure you are eating these slowly as well, you will end up getting full faster!
9. With fresh foods, the more colorful and the more variety of color, the better. Doing this assists the different energies in your body and balancing out your Chakras. This will help you not only be more healthy physically but, spiritually as well!
10. Drink more water! I know I say this quite frequently but I can’t stress enough just how important this is! Water will help keep you full through out the day, and it pushes all the waste out while keeping your body hydrated and glowing! You can do fun things with your water these days like adding different fruits and such! Once you start doing this you will begin to crave water and fall in love with it. Water is seriously my favorite thing!!